Friday, May 7, 2010

My Favorite Things about Chemistry

Because sometimes the facts about chemical employment just aren't very fun. But this is!

My Favorite Things about Chemistry (by CJ)

1. A chromatography column that works well.
2. The treasure trove of literature, filled with truth, (a few) lies and idiosyncrasies galore.
3. Ground glass joints that fit snugly.
4. The first few drops of a successful vacuum distillation.
5. The little tips that "everyone" knows (DMF in your acyl chloride formation, etc.)
6. The prettiness of water flowing through Tygon tubing.
7. Watching product fall out of solution.
8. Crystals, beautiful crystals.
9. J-coupling that makes sense.
10. A clean 250 mL roundbottom.

Let's see if I can start a meme going around the chem-blogosphere. I tag mitch, azmanam, CBC, milkshake, Newscripts, The Haystack, The Safety Zone and Derek Lowe.

Have a good weekend!

UPDATE: azmanam, Newscripts and The Haystack have their lists up. Thanks for playing along, all -- I am honored. 

8 comments:

  1. Done :)
    http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2010/05/07/a-few-of-my-favorite-chemistry-things/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you can put this to "Sound of Music" song of similar name.

    I too found most these things enjoyable but after working in scale-up it's hard to beat thrill of having to use a shovel to transfer your reaction product to drums.

    CMCguy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours is in progress. Look for it in a day or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added my list to my tumblelog: http://sgraber.tumblr.com/post/589809363/favorite-chemistry-things

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for something fun for my blog this week: perfect. I note we have a few of the same favorites. Such pretty crystals!

    http://wp.me/pwkJC-6m

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20