Boron Specialties, LLC (located near Pittsburgh, PA) is seeking a Development Chemist. We develop and manufacture chemicals for high-value applications in markets like electronics and advanced materials, and we often serve as a chemistry technology development partner for our customers. We’re looking for a new colleague who will thrive in an agile environment, contributing to both process and product development and production chemistry across a number of scales under the direction of senior scientific staff. We seek energetic, enthusiastic applicants excited about playing an integral role in the growth of a small company.
- MS in chemistry with 3 years relevant synthetic chemistry experience or BS in chemistry with 5 years relevant synthetic chemistry experience.
- Willing and able to participate in a robust safety and regulatory compliance culture
- Experience with highly reactive, air-sensitive, and toxic materials, and an ability to safely manipulate materials under air-free conditions.
- Experience in multi-step chemical synthesis.
- Familiarity with multinuclear NMR, FT-IR, MS, ICP, and GC in the context of product and process development.
- Willing and able to learn and contribute beyond regular duties when needed, in areas like analytical method development and multi-kg syntheses.
- Able to solve complex technical problems using both inductive and deductive reasoning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to excel in a team environment.
- Able to legally work in the United States.
- Strong mechanical aptitude in the laboratory.
- Experience in supervision and direction of technician-level employees.
- Experience with standard operating procedure development.
- Experience working in a project-managed environment
- Interest in occasional technical engagement with customers to help find solutions to their needs.