What do you think is going to happen with the spread of COVID-19 through the United States? I would like to tackle some of the key questions that has driven this blog since December 2008. Here are some questions that I have:
- Will we see a recession in 2020? If so, when?
- How will this affect industrial chemist employment?
- How will this affect academic chemist employment for the 2020-21 hiring cycle?
- How will COVID-19 affect hiring cycles overall? Will 2019 be the local maxima of hiring in industrial and academic chemistry?
- How will the lack of face-to-face contact affect job searchers?
- What are the most effective Skype interviewing techniques?
- If there is a recession, which aspect of the chemical enterprise (academic, industrial or governmental) will be hit by mass layoffs? When and how?
(UPDATE: adjusted language of final bullet)
(I regret I am much slow at answering them than I was ten years ago, although I suspect I will have lots of time for e-mails in the coming weeks....)