Q-5 is seeking a postdoctoral applicant for opportunities in high explosives characterization with a focus in analytical chemistry specifically in the areas of chromatography, mass spectrometry, and chemometrics. General areas of interest to our group include aging of plastic bonded explosives, understanding the chemical and physical relationship of polymers, and synthesis/impurity profiling in explosives. Positions will be awarded to candidates demonstrating exceptional talent with a successful collaborative and scientific track record.
Responsibilities for the selected candidate will entail:
- Developing new chromatographic and chemometric methodologies for analysis of explosives, plastic bonded explosives (PBXs), and polymers
- Application of these techniques to samples of interest
- Contribute to internal reports, progress reports to sponsors, or technical publications in peer-reviewed journals, as appropriate to meet program objectives.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Ability to work effectively in a team with the ability to apply knowledge to a wide array of technical problems
- Have a track record of publications and experience presenting at conferences.
- Ability to obtain a Q clearance, which generally requires US citizenship.
- Wide array of general analytical chemistry skills
- Experience with a wide array of chromatography systems which may include: gas chromatography with time of flight mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography with quadrupole time of flight mass spectrometry, gel permeation chromatography
- Demonstrated ability to conduct high precision measurements and data acquisition are essential
- Experience with explosive materials through handling or synthesis
- Multi-dimensional chromatography preferably in liquid chromatography
- Experience with chemometrics including PCA, PLS-DA, and PLS-R
- MATLAB, Python, or LABVIEW programming experience are useful for data acquisition and processing
Education: A PhD in analytical chemistry or closely related field within the last 5 years or soon to be completed. The candidate must have completed all Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment.
Full ad here. Best wishes to those interested.