Friday, April 30, 2010

Daily Pump Trap: 4/30/10 edition

Good morning! From April 27 until 11:30 AM GMT April 30, there were 27 new positions posted on the ACS Careers website. Of these, 7 (26%) are academically connected and 1 is from our friends at Kelly Scientific Research.

A flavorful position: Mars is looking for a PhD flavor chemist to head its flavo(u)r chemistry division. Sounds like fun; obviously, you need to be quite experienced for this job.

Dupont: It's nice to see the major companies come in with positions -- Dupont has posted 5 positions, including a B.S. chemist for work in its Stone and Tile products division.

Regulus: And on the other end of the size spectrum, Regulus Therapeutics has posted 2 positions in bench chemistry. They are looking for a B.S./M.S. chemist with 1-5 years experience for microRNA and oligonucleotide synthesis and also an associate director (Ph.D., 8+ yrs.) for the same field.

The Holton Lab: Robert Holton (of Taxol fame) is looking for an "assistant scholar scientist" to work on taxane syntheses. I don't typically post on post-doc positions in the DPT, but this one has a 65-72k salary. For Tallahassee, that's not too bad.

Positive reinforcement: Kelly Scientific Resources has done a remarkable job of improving the positions its been posting. No more food technician positions, mostly really lab-based. Nice.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm. It's been almost 20 years since the Taxol days. Holton is still doing taxane work and making Taxol analogs. Is there really anything left to do medicinally with taxol/taxanes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12-15 yrs of intense schooling and training, your reward? A nice post-doc at $65-75K. But it's in Tallahassee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you're a fan of college football... well, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out the first page of the new issue of C&EN. It's a full page color ad for DHL--for all the chemicals you need to import from China.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like college football, but I feel like after grad school and the 3-5 extra years of postdoc experience that he's asking for, I'd sacrifice the opportunity to watch good ball for a higher salary with longer tenure than 1 year (ie; not the pharma industry).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make it a tenure of 5 years at that salary with regular 1% increases and a realistic option for 5 year renewals and I might be sold. Oh wait, it's Tallahassee... better bump up the salary to Holton level.

    I think I'd rather hone my unemployment/hanging out in the cafe/hanging out on the beach skills. At least until I get a family or something. Then if my wife can't support me with her salary while I look after the kids, and whines too much, I might take a 70K postdoc in Tallahassee.

    Anyways, I've got to go work on my tan. Hitting the Med in a few hours... Maybe I'll bring along one of 'em Fagnou ASAP Jackass papers to read on my swim breaks.

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20