Friday, June 4, 2010

Question: good resume writing services?

Anon12:00 asks "I am wondering if you know a good resume review and writing service for organic chemistry/phd background."

Well, really, I don't. I've had success (in my opinion) from the free career consulting that the ACS Careers people put on at ACS meetings. I met with John Borchardt and thought he did a nice job of correcting/editing my resume, which was appreciated. I believe the ACS Careers website has a (free!) personal career consulting service; I've not heard any reviews of its quality. (That being said, I think there's real room for a market here; certainly there are a lot of people who could use one and people who could use the work.)

Anyone know of a good resume writing service for organic chemists?

3 comments:

  1. I can second the career consultants at ACS meetings.

    Also, I'd recommend checking with your university's career center -- often they will help alumni out as well, even after graduation.

    -Dave

    http://twitter.com/materialsdave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I submitted mine to JobFox.com when I was job searching. They provided a satisfactory free review, not stellar, but ok. I'm sure they left out some information because along with the free eval, they wanted me to sign up with their service where I would get a 1-on-1 counselor to help with resume and cover letter.

    They would send me emails every three days non stop to try to get me to sign up for their service. They were very incessant about it.

    Ultimately, I would recommend NOT using JobFox. Eval was just so-so, and the bombardment of emails was quite off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took advantage of the resume writing service at a regional ACS meeting and it definitely was helpful. On the other hand, the ACS career consulting is HORRID. They seem to have re-vamped that section so it may have improved, but when I was looking for jobs/postdocs last year half the people on there either couldn't be contacted or were not accepting consulting appointments. It was also VERY circuitous, you had to narrow in on your specialization, which wasn't as simple as organic, inorganic, physical, etc. It was gov't, industry, academia, polymers, clinical, agrochem, etc.

    I just looked and several of the consultants don't even have profiles for you to look at. If they don't have time to put 3 sentences together about their experience in the field, how are they supposed to career consult?

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20