Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Student who suffered worst burns from Dinwiddie fire is now at home

An update from the incident covered here, via WRIC (dated October 27): 

DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Dinwiddie High School student who was severely injured in a classroom chemistry experiment gone wrong two weeks ago was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon.

Jey Bryant, 17, was one of four students injured in the fire caused by the experiment on Oct. 12, three of whom had to be rushed to the hospital for treatment. A teacher was also taken to the hospital after the incident.

Jey, a senior at the school, was one of 19 students in a classroom watching their teacher perform a chemistry experiment in which methanol was being poured from an open, narrow-neck, one-gallon container, according to Dinwiddie County Fire. The methanol vapor at the bottle opening caused a phenomenon known as flame jetting, during which a large amount of the methanol was rapidly emitted from the bottle and caught on fire, the fire department explained...

...“He got to go home yesterday afternoon. Doctors said they were amazed at his progress and he has a long road as far as wound care and scarring reduction with follow ups at the burn unit outpatient clinic and physical therapy,” Chris Bryant, Jey’s father, told 8News Thursday morning.

Best wishes to Jey Bryant, and the Bryant family. Dozens of children have been injured in alcohol fire incidents (sometimes severly) in the United States over the past 30 years. May Jey be the last student injured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20