Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Recommended reading list (for others and CJ)?

During the chemistry jobs roundtable, Carmen Drahl and Lisa Jarvis asked a great question: if you were to recommend a reading list on chemistry employment to undergraduates and/or graduate students, what would you choose?

In my opinion, a good reading list will provide a source of inspiration, while rubbing the readers' face in reality.

I would recommend a few things:

- My favorite post of Derek Lowe's about the perseverance of being a pharma researcher.
- Any one of the postdoc or assistant professor blogs out there.
- Derek Lowe's series on how to get a pharma job.
- My post on the ten year mark of an industrial chemist.
- Any of Philip Greenspun's writings on the cost/benefit of getting a degree in science.

Readers, doubtless you can do a better job than me. What would you recommend?

Also, I have a $50 gift card from a major book retailer; if you would recommend a book to purchase, what would it be? I'm willing to purchase chemistry related texts, but would entertain suggestions for other items.

(N.B. Some of that money is reserved for the autobiography of Gus Pagonis, the logistic wizard behind the first Gulf War. I'm weird like that.)

UPDATE: Lisa Balbes of the ACS Careers blog and Career Development for Scientists has a list of her own; it's quite comprehensive.

11 comments:

  1. I think that the job situation for chemists needs to be viewed in the greater context of the extreme income disparity in our country now and the pressures of short term financial profits that have driven up unemployment. For that I would recommend: "Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future", by Robert Reich.
    I am already investigating the two cooking related books recommended by Matt. I own the much older: "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee.
    My first reaction to the idea of a autobiography of Gus Pagonis was highly negative, but I note that this is written as a case study of the management of logistics, and in that light, sounds entriging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaythia, not a fan of famous Greek-Americans :-) or not much of a reader of military stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see Lisa's list already has this but I would definitely recommend "What Color is you Parachute" which is a practical guide book for job seekers. It not only contains useful general info on standard job hunting stuff (CV, Networking etc.) but also includes self examination tools which not sure too many people engage in that exercise and can be valuable for making sure select compatible jobs/environments.

    CMC guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greek American: Arianna Stassinopoulos Huffington: Third World America: How Our Politicians Are Abandoning the Middle Class and Betraying the American Dream (2010)

    Not much of a fan of military stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Gaythia
    I'm a big fan of On Food and Cooking. These new books are a lot of fun.

    @CJ
    I've also heard a bunch of great reviews on the book about Pat Tillman's death. But, you've likely already read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa's list is very comprehensive. The only thing I might add is Dazzle 'em With Style: The Art of Oral Scientific Presentation. I have the older, cheaper edition - the newer one seems overpriced so maybe this would be a good one to get from the library. Most of it seems self explanatory, but I've seen a lot of bad presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good introductory text in accounting. Pay particular attention to the US rules of reporting acquired intellectual property versus internally produced intellectual property.

    Can you guess which is an asset and which is an expense?

    ReplyDelete
  8. CJ - PLEASE tell me you've read "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynmann" If not, buy that now!

    Danke Schoen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude -- you tell me that after I buy the books. I'll get a copy on Amazon or something...

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20