C16 Biosciences seeks an outstanding chemical engineer to lead our fermentation-based bioprocess efforts and to successfully scale this process from the bench to demonstration scale.
C16 Biosciences makes lab-grown palm oil. Palm oil is a bedrock component of the modern economy ($60B/yr market size, found in 50% of consumer goods), but its production drives massive amounts of deforestation, extinction, and greenhouse gas emissions. We provide a sustainable alternative to palm oil by using microbial fermentation to convert sustainable carbon streams into lipids which match or beat the performance of palm oil. We are a Y Combinator and venture capital backed company based in Somerville, MA. The successful candidate will lead the development, optimization, and scaling of our full bioprocess.
The primary focus in this role will be to lead the fermentation of sustainable carbon streams using C16 Bioscience’s proprietary microbial strains. Responsibilities include:
- Lead, design and execute fermentation optimization and scale up experiments
- Prioritize, plan and direct projects to ensure cost-effective and scalable bioprocess
- Define and analyze data from fermentation runs, incorporating results to improve bioprocess
- Optimize lipid extraction and purification from fermented biomass
- Manage downstream processing and derivatization of microbial oils
- Develop and optimize conditions for product validation
- Lead scale up of bioprocess and transfer to manufacturing, including development of and effective application of SOPs
- Proactively identify new partnerships and grow existing relationships with CMOs
- Develop and manage technology transfer to guarantee effective, accurate high-impact CMO pilots
- Degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biological Engineering, or related field
- >5 years experience working on fermentation bioprocess development