Friday, April 7, 2023

Blue days

And now for something very different. I like reading about other people's jobs (no surprise), and this writeup of the life of a woman long-haul trucker by Meg Bernhard was very interesting: 
...When I returned from the walk, Jess drove us to the facility for her 6 PM appointment. The day before, she’d picked up a load of picture frames from a small warehouse in Elkton, Kentucky, a town whose roads were hardly wide enough for a big rig. “This will be interesting,” she’d said, turning her wheel to the right and careening the truck onto a narrow two-lane road lined with red-brick homes and trim lawns, her fifty-three-foot trailer veering precariously. 
At the warehouse, a stooping man with shocking blue eyes gave us a tour of the long, mostly empty garage, its walls lined with stacks of boxes and palettes. “I do Lowe’s,” he said. “Also Walmart.” He’d started out working as a janitor for the company, then purchased it himself. A few years ago, he sold it for $3.8 million so he could retire but swiftly bought it back to save twenty-five employees from termination. “It’s a parable,” Jess said when we returned to the Black Widow.

I found this bit particularly poignant: 

Trucking saved her, she said, but she still got lonely. Solitude became its own source of claustrophobia. “I have blue days,” Jess said. “If I slammed my truck into a mountain, would anyone notice? Does anyone know I’m out here?”

...On blue days, Jess went through her phone’s contact list and called and called. If no one answered, she screamed.

I had a cell phone in grad school, but I didn't really call very many people on it. Makes you wonder if I would have been more social or less social in grad school if I had one... 

6 comments:

  1. A network of non-chemist friends helped a lot during grad school for just those days. However, the longer I've remained a chemist, the more alien I've felt to my non-chemist friends ("why do you work so hard?" is a common and tiring refrain, reflecting in my view a lack of understanding what it's like to be a minnow in shark-infested waters).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar experience as Anonymous 11:05pm.

    About a decade out from grad school, I still go through phases where I really wonder if going through a PhD was/is worthwhile. I feel that alienation and feel I lost something along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PhD in organic chemistry here. For the large amount of emotional abuse I had to endure mostly from my advisor but also to some extent from the department and graduate school, it was not worth it to me. It wrecked me for a VERY long time and I'm still having occasional bouts of PTSD/flashbacks of anxiety and depression.

      Delete
    2. I've been out for 20 years, and I still have nightmares to this day that my advisor somehow forced me to go back and do more experiments at my current age. I learned a lot of chemistry, but it absolutely wasn't worth it. I had zero self-confidence throughout my twenties, and I wish I could have a do-over on that decade of my life.

      Delete
  3. Agreed with the above that having a network on non-chemistry (non-grad-school, really) friends was very helpful -- especially to distract me from the guilt associated with socializing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had been friends with regular people and not other grad students in grad school, they probably would have insisted I get psychiatric help. The grad school system depends on isolating us from the outside world, and the abuse we accepted as normal never would be tolerated in a corporate workplace.

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20