Friday, April 28, 2017

An interesting prediction from Bruce Booth

I thought this prediction was interesting in this Bruce Booth post on CADD and how we're not quite there yet:
...Laboratory science may have gone increasingly virtual – as in distributed remotely – but it’s not yet fully automated for robots and AI just yet. Maybe work at firms like Transcriptic and Emerald Cloud Labs will change that over time, but it’s not likely broadly applicable in the near term. 
I’m guessing my kids (13, 12, and 9 years old) will still be able to find a career with a lab coat if they wanted, but maybe my grandkids won’t. You can be sure the future scientists of my kids’ age will need to appreciate how to apply the best CADD approaches if they are to be discovering the drugs of the future.
I'll make a similar prediction: when the children of today can have a job in the lab (i.e. ~10-15 years from now), the median chemist will be making not much more than they are today, i.e. the median chemist's income will not have climbed significantly against inflation.

Here's hoping I'm wrong, but I don't think so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20