Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"NADINE NADINE I I I WE WE WE ARE WE ARE"

My all-time favorite
post-Apocalypic novel.
From John Carroll, editor-in-chief of Fierce Biotech, on the latest Shire and Pfizer layoff news:
"Roche invited me down to Nutley a few years ago to talk to the research survivors about to make the transfer into Manhattan. Walking through the deserted campus, I thought it would make a great set for a post-Apocalypse movie. The empty buildings, abandoned parking lots and lonely sidewalks make for a dramatic setting. 
It's too bad they're still shooting the same movie in biopharma. They're just using different locations."
 Best wishes to all of us.

6 comments:

  1. Plenty of people in Big Pharma who could play Randal Flagg.....but here is my pick, from what I gather:

    http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/03/report_pfizer_inc_ceo_ian_read.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...which city gets to be Las Vegas and which one gets to be Denver?

    The other problem is that there are an awful lot of Lloyd Henreids to facilitate the transition to...whatever the hell this is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough the former Pfizer campus at Sandwich was used as a filming location for World War Z. (And The Tunnel; a particularly conspicuous piece of corporate art gave that away.) There's something deeply surreal about watching a work of fiction taking place where you used to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.npr.org/2014/07/30/336337115/as-pharma-jobs-leave-n-j-office-space-ghost-towns-remain

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife's favorite is Swan Song, by Robert McCammon - it seems sort of similar to The Stand in lots of ways,but I haven't actually read it (apparently it and The Stand are mutually exclusive).

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20