Tuesday, June 9, 2026

The 2027 Chemistry Faculty Jobs List: 2 research/teaching positions

 The 2027 Chemistry Faculty Jobs List has 2 research/teaching positions. 

Want to help out? Here's a Google Form to enter positions.

On June 10, 2025, the 2026 Chemistry Faculty Jobs List had 4 research/teaching positions. 

Want to talk anonymously? Have an update on the status of a job search? This will serve as the first open thread post. 

Don't forget to click on "load more" below the comment box for the full thread. 

Are you having problems accessing the Google Sheet because of a Google Documents error? Email me at chemjobber@gmail.com and I will send you an Excel download of the latest sheet. 

13 comments:

  1. testy mctesterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another cycle begins! I have transitioned from my postdoc to a pretty cushy industry job (...thanks Elon?), so I will only apply to universities in localities that me/my family would be excited to move to. I will say finding time to do research statements etc. will be harder.

    Best of luck to others applying! I don't have a great sense for how good to expect the market to be this time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you happen to apply to university of south carolina last year

      Delete
    2. I did and got a zoom interview which I declined because of aforementioned geography issues.

      Delete
    3. I was the person that got the zoom interview slot after you declined (we chatted on the sheet last year) – got an onsite but did not get the position haha. Hope it works out this year for you location wise!

      Delete
  3. Trying not to be too pessimistic about how many openings we have, but week-by-week we're consistently behind the (abysmal) pace from last year. I hoped that we'd see a better rebound for academic openings in the 26-27 cycle, but we appear to be in even worse shape so far. The last several years the pace that percentage differential between year N and year N-1 has pretty much been set in August and held constant through the end of the calendar year at least.

    Not promising first few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the broad sentiment I've heard from folks is that a lot of places are tightening their belts or otherwise struggling financially. At this point I don't really expect it to get better (and it may only get worse) until the Republican party is no longer in power.

      At least still better than the worst part of Covid (for now).

      Delete
    2. Our canceled search from last year will go ahead this year, but I fear the startup package offerings will be cut back from what we typically can accommodate.

      Delete
    3. anyone has any insight on UCI search?

      Delete
  4. Any international applicants with optimism this cycle? I was feeling a bit defeated because this is my 3rd time trying - had a few zoom and one onsite 2 years ago, followed by basically nothing last year. This year, I try reaching out to places to check if they would still consider candidates who need visa sponsorship, and some replied positively. Some ads even put clear policies to avoid confusion. That injected some well-needed confidence boost. Good luck, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does being U.S.-born provide any small advantage in tenure-track hiring, after controlling for training and visa status?

    Asking in order to understand the realities of US chemistry hiring. Suppose two TT applicants have comparable research records, research proposals, and job-talk performance; PhD and postdoc training at strong U.S. institutions; great recommendations; and permanent U.S. work authorization or are applying to an institution where visa sponsorship is routine and unlikely to affect the hiring decision (so visa sponsorship is irrelevant). Also, assume we are in the pre-2022 hiring environment (rather than the current visa situation).

    In this scenario, is there any preference for domestic over international candidates, or vice versa?

    I’ve seen some online discussions suggesting that domestic status might sometimes function as a tiebreaker, which made me curious about how large any preference actually is in practice. For instance, is it mostly just a tiebreaker between nearly indistinguishable candidates, or can it amount to a small advantage in the overall evaluation -- i.e., enough to offset a slightly weaker research proposal or job talk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The situation you describe is completely hypothetical. Applicants and members of hiring committees are individuals, so two candidates can never be even close to identical in the eyes of all members of that committee. Rather than citizenship, it is way more likely that they will point to small differences in any of the other factors you mentioned to argue for their favorite candidate.

      Delete
    2. At least for us, we have no way of knowing visa sponsorship needs and the only real hint of where someone is from would be based on where they completed their training (though obviously many people complete aspects of their training outside of their home countries).

      Our most recent search, I think three of the four on site candidates were non-US born, but frankly it never came up during discussions.

      Delete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20