Friday, September 1, 2023

A brief set of musings, mostly for my benefit

I'm particularly rocked by the shooting at the University of North Carolins this week. In case you missed it, here's a brief summary from the Associated Press: 
Tailei Qi, 34, was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder and having a gun on educational property in Monday’s killing of Zijie Yan inside a science building at the state’s flagship public university.
Professor Yan was a professor in UNC's Department of Applied Physical Sciences. 

I've read enough tweets and comments from professors that they are now pretty concerned about gun violence in their departments, particularly from disgruntled students.* I think it would be worth hearing from professors about this - if you feel like emailing me a short comment, I would be willing to post them. I will grant anonymity, if desired. Email (as always) is chemjobber@gmail.com

I have more thoughts about Mr. Qi's act, but I'm not sure those thoughts are fully formed yet. I think I need to be better informed about why people do these acts before I write about it, and I'm not sure I really want to do the work to get there. 

*I don't think there is a clear motive for Mr. Qi's outburst of violence, but it's certainly clear that he perceived some kind of issue with his adviser. 

No comments: