Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Ivory Filter Flask: 4/30/13 edition

Between April 23 and April 29, there were 11 new academic positions posted on the C&EN Jobs website. The numbers:

Total number of ads: 11
- Postdocs: 0
- Tenure-tractk faculty:  5
- Temporary faculty: 3
- Lecturer positions:  3
- Staff positions:  0
- US/non-US: 11/0

Manhattan, NY: Bard High School Early College is once again looking for an assistant professor for its program for high school kids. You would in September 2013 -- isn't this a little late?

Um, that's an visiting faculty position, yes?: Ithaca College (Ithaca, NY) has a position titled "assistant professor in chemistry." You'd think it was full-time and permanent, and yet:
The Ithaca College Department of Chemistry invites applications for a full-time, one-year (with possibility of renewal pending departmental needs) Assistant Professor in Chemistry position for the academic year 2013-14, to teach general chemistry, organic chemistry, and provide general laboratory instruction. 
Mmmaybe not.

Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University is search for a tenure-track assistant professor and also a general chemistry coordinator. The latter seems to be tenure-track as well, which is unusual.

Harrisonburg, VA: James Madison University is searching for 2 temporary assistant professors/instructors for one-year positions....

And also: Same with Simpson College (Indianola, IA.)

And don't forget: Andre The Chemist's 3rd round-up of non-C&EN Jobs academic positions. 

13 comments:

  1. In re Ithaca College (and others): unless it says tenure track, it's not permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ithaca College is more of an artsy school and it is next door to Cornell. Teaching there for a year is an option for someone finishing up at Cornell who wants another year in the area.

      Delete
  2. Anyone know if BYU faculty are bound by the same honor code as the students (church-going, no drinking, smoking, beards, tank-tops, premarital sex)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. That said, it appears that BYU does hire non-LDS faculty:

      http://universe.byu.edu/beta/2013/02/19/non-lds-professors-at-byu/

      Delete
    2. Yes: http://facultycenter.byu.edu/honor-code-faculty-information?destination=node%2F220

      Delete
    3. If chemistry is your passion, and your spouse, you should have no problem with following the honor code. Your church will be your lab where you will worship your wife/husband every day of the week, but especially on those long Sunday afternoons.

      Delete
  3. Re BYU, they say "Preference is given to qualified candidates who are members in good standing of the affiliated church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

    I thought it was illegal to discriminate based on religious values?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fine if you're a private institution.

      Delete
    2. It's too bad it doesn't preclude them from obtaining government grants.

      They seem to have a pretty dry sense of humor: "BYU is an Equal Opportunity employer. Preference is given to qualified candidates who are members in good standing of the affiliated church"

      Delete
  4. I don't see why BYU would be different from Notre Dame in the long run, where the latter is a Catholic institution. I think it's the right of Notre Dame to give preference for Catholic professors and Notre Dame is an established university with a strong chemistry department.

    Anyways, I got all my information on Mormons from South Park and the Book of Mormon so based on the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ2eSUj16n0 I'd say that you're likely to get hardworking and capable students in your lab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I graduated from BYU and am currently finishing up my PhD in a top 10 organic chemistry program. I recognize that I am biased, but when I compare the type of undergraduate that I generally TA now with my former classmates at BYU, I will agree with uncle sam's tongue-in-cheek comment...you will get hard working and capable students. Also, as a member of the Latter-day Saint church, I will say that one of my best chemistry professors was not a member of our faith, so if you are interested in applying, I strongly encourage you to. I will be honest about the honor code...while some students get away with not following it (and so professors might as well), if you are caught in violation of it, it is grounds for termination of employment. Oh, and concerning the second job posting, BYU does have tenure track lecturers and lab coordinators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, anon, for your relevant contribution.

      Delete
    2. Well, I was serious. I'm willing to believe a lot of good things about BYU. Still, this part:

      'Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse' is the deal breaker really. Tea has a big part in my culture, and if I went to visit my parents and refused to drink tea, they would clearly think something was wrong. I used to drink five cups of tea a day back on the farm in the old country as a small kid. Not to mention I'm partial to coffee from time to time and a good scotch when writing a paper.

      If I'm not allowed to tea it up at home (never mind just on campus), that place is just not for me.

      Delete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20