Thursday, November 21, 2013

Daily Pump Trap: 11/21/13 edition

Between November 19 and November 20, there were 31 new positions posted on the C&EN Jobs website. Of these, 8 (26%) are academically connected and 18 (58%) are from Kelly Scientific Resources.

Things are slim these days: Not a ton of industrial positions being posted on C&EN Jobs these days. Sigh.

Boucherville, Ontario: The National Research Council of Canada has posted what looks like a postdoc position in polymer chemistry. (Feel free to correct me, readers, if I am incorrect.)

A broader look: Monster, Careerbuilder, Indeed and USAjobs.gov show (respectively) 202, 866, 2700 and 12 positions for the search term "chemist." LinkedIn shows 157 positions for the job title "chemist", with 20 for "analytical chemist", 5 for "organic chemist", 9 for "research chemist", 2 for "synthetic chemist" and 0 for "medicinal chemist."

And there it is: Did anyone see that Pfizer is hiring new Ph.D. process chemists for its Groton site? "No industrial experience required." Yeeaaaahhhh!

5 comments:

  1. Personally I've noticed a pickup, I went 7 months without even a phone interview and in the past 2.5 weeks I've had 3 phone interviews and a sit down interview. I know it anecdotal but it's for me it's a sign of huge improvements in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's the end of the year, with budget cycles and the holidays, I'm not shocked in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure Boucherville is in Quebec, just a bridge away from Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, considering the muzzling of Canadian scientists, I wonder if the NRC postdoc will be allowed to tell future employers about their research.

    --Free Radical

    ReplyDelete
  5. The main issue with the NRC post-doc is the requirement for fluency in french. That certainly stopped me and my monoglot ways.

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20