Monday, September 15, 2014

This week's C&EN

Lots going on in this week's issue:

6 comments:

  1. Interesting NPR story this morning: "Too Few University Jobs For America's Young Scientists"

    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/09/16/343539024/too-few-university-jobs-for-americas-young-scientists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not just "young" scientists.

      Delete
  2. Martin Feldman is the voice of reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They highlighted the NIH funded disciplines. From my own (selfish) perspective they didn't mention that the NSF has funding at about 1/8th of that, and they have to run an Antarctic base.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most disappointing part of the ACS survey is that "more male students than female students reported that their advisers helped them advance professionally."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amusing that 20% of people find their stipends financially difficult -- what do the other 80% think? - the other 80% have friends in Humanities grad programs thus know they could be even worse off.

    ReplyDelete