- Emphasize that this was a tragic accident, not a crime.
- Admit no wrongdoing on the part of UCLA, the institution
- Play up Sheri Sangji's experience to a relatively ignorant general public
- Emphasize that UCLA EH&S policy is for researchers to wear lab coats
- Express quizzical ignorance as to why she was not wearing a lab coat
- Keep telling people that UCLA is, 3 short years later, a national leader on academic lab safety (really?)
- Express that this criminal proceeding is shockingly unfair and unwarranted.
There's also a bit of news in the matter in that UCLA is providing counsel for Professor Harran; that's an interesting decision on both their parts. I wonder if there will be a severing of those ties, if things go poorly.