- Morning coffee cup made from the skull of a former graduate student who reported a 25% yield.
- Walked into E.J. Corey's office once without pushing the button.
- Designed 4 dresses that made it onto the cover of Vogue.
- Professor Y was a sniper in Vietnam with 15 kills.
- A postdoc challenged Professor Y during a group meeting; they had a duel that ended when Professor Y beheaded them. The group meeting ended on time at 12:15 am.
- Professor Y told their committee when they were graduating -- and they loved it!
- They don't have a bedroom at home -- they sleep on top of old Chemical Reviews with a copy of Chemical Abstracts as a pillow.
- Professor Y once gave Chuck Norris an 'F' on a p-chem exam -- that's why he's an actor now instead of a chemist.
- Can recite journal articles from memory; as a parlor trick, can recite supplemental information procedures.
- Doesn't have radio on while driving -- listens to computer-read Nature Chemistry articles in the car instead.
- Gave an exam so hard that a student's head exploded. You can still see the bloodstains on the ceiling in Room 358.
- Professor Y is a really nice person -- you just have to go BASE jumping with them a few times.
Friday, December 16, 2011
12 rumors about *that* professor
Every chemistry department has a Professor Y, someone who makes the potted plants wilt a little when they walk by and makes grad students tinkle in their pants. Here's some things I heard about them: