Several children were injured at a school on the west side after a science experiment gone wrong.
The accident happened at Yellow School - Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church just after noon.
According to the Memorial City Fire Department, preschool students at the 240 block of Blalock Road were conducting some type of science experiment outside when a flash blast occurred.
Of the 12 students who were injured, 11 of them suffered burns, one student was trampled and six of them were taken to the hospital. All of the students are 3 years old, a fire official said.This quote is basically diagnostic of methanol-related flame incidents in schools:
As parents and grandparents picked up children who were not injured, some of the kids told Eyewitness News that they were involved in some type of color-changing fire experiment.
"Fire was changing colors and the last one wasn't working, so we put it a little bit more, and then it exploded," said Kate Earnest, a 5-year-old who was part of the group that participated in the experiment. "That's how the other kids got burned, and they were crying."It's the classic formula for a methanol-flame incident around children, with the combination of:
- methanol being added to the (usually dying/invisible) flames
- from a bulk methanol container with
- students being too close