The Researcher position is available for one year under the “Sulfone substituted complex cyclopropanes and linear hydrocarbons via catalysis” project under the direction of Dr. Eugene Khaskin) at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST).
The major focus will be on the economic scale up of the earlier disclosed cyclopropanation reactions as well as employing the reaction towards new sulfone, alcohol, and other substrates compatible in the reaction. Basic responsibilities involve screening of catalysis conditions; synthesis, separation, and characterization of cyclopropane and linear sulfone substrates; and testing new catalysts and reaction conditions. Some of the work will be carried out in cooperation with the Coordination Chemistry and Catalysis unit, about which more details can be found at the unit webpage: https://groups.oist.jp/cccu
- Master's or Ph.D. in Chemistry
- Experience in one or several of the following fields: organic chemistry methods development, organic chemistry total synthesis, organic chemistry heterocycle synthesis, organometallic chemistry catalysis.
- Extensive experience in reaction screening, as well as basic organic chemistry techniques such as separating substrates via column chromatography (and/or HPLC), TLC, etc...
- Familiarity with NMR, GC (FID or MS), and HPLC instruments.
- Have a strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Good communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a team