- On a regular basis, ask your mentor "Why should the government fund this research?" She'll love you for it.
- If they show you their secret stash of equipment, say loudly, "Hey, how come you're not sharing this stuff with your labmates?"
- Dirty glassware isn't worth cleaning -- ever.
- Go through the drawers around their lab bench and loudly point out any unlabeled flasks of compounds.
- Ask, "Do you have a boyfriend (or girlfriend)?" If yes, ask them "When was the last time you got to spend time with them?" If no, ask them "Why not?"
- If your group meeting presentation isn't going well, turn to your lab mentor and say, "You didn't prepare me well enough for this!"
- Ask them what the departmental Chemical Hygiene Plan is.
- Every Tuesday, ask them to explain every single step of an experiment and what chemical principles are involved. Make sure they look everything up in a textbook.
- Remind them that you're thinking about engineering or medical school.
- If they're really, really, really messy, regularly clean up everything spotlessly. They won't be able to function.
- Repeat after me: "Hey, what kind of jobs can you get after you graduate?"
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
11 ways to really irritate your summer lab mentor
Summer students, it's early June, so it means that you're probably settling into the lab you'll be in for the next two to three months or so. Here's a few ways of getting back at the person you'll be working for/with: