Monday, August 1, 2011

Well, that's a start

From this week's Chemical and Engineering News, a bit of interesting news from the American Chemical Society  (no, really!):
The Board Committee on Professional & Member Relations (P&MR) met on June 3... The committee also discussed ways to better assist unemployed members in the short term while also educating students and faculty about current job realities and alternative careers over the longer term. P&MR agreed to launch a new effort to get members to help other members find jobs and to bolster the role of local sections in this area.  
Peter K. Dorhout, Chair
Hey, folks, so far as I'm concerned, this is progress. Good stuff. Do I think anything will come of it? Well, we shall see...

7 comments:

  1. The pessimistic side of me thinks this will result in more webinars on networking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first reaction: Well, I guess the problem is now officially too big to ignore.

    My second reaction: It's likely that the problem is now too big to address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny Elfman’s lyrics have perfectly captured the attitude of the people who work at the ACS towards industrial chemists’ job woes:

    Nothing bad ever happens to me
    Nothing bad ever happens to me
    Why should I care?

    Did ya hear about Fred, he's unemployed
    They threw him away like a useless toy
    He went down the drain after 20 long years
    No warning, no pension and nobody's tears
    And I can't believe that anyone would
    Wanna do such a terrible thing
    But why should I care?
    Why should I care?

    Every time I look around this place
    I see them scream but I hear no sound
    And the terrible things happen down the road
    To someone else that I don't even know

    Nothing bad ever happens to me
    Nothing bad ever happens to me
    Nothing bad ever happens to me
    Nothing bad ever happens to me
    Why should I care?

    Maybe the ACS members need to unsettle the lives of the ACS bureaucrats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute!! Is this a new nefarious ACS strategy (aka scam) at getting folks like me to become a member again? Not working. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will they include unemployed people on the committee? I hope it's not just a bunch of tenured professors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What possible benefit does ACS membership give anyone, especially the un-employed?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The committee also discussed ways to better assist unemployed members in the short term while also educating students and faculty about current job realities and alternative careers over the longer term."

    So the ACS membership is free [short term benefit] while ex-chemists transition to new jobs at McDonalds [alternative careers for long term]?

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20