Look, kids, DO NOT GO AND DO THIS. IT WAS DUMB. It could have ended in tragedy, with the squirt bottle holder seriously injured.
Picture this, Sicily! 1932!So there we were in the lab and there was this summer student. Super smart, not super experienced and she's trying to get a reaction to work. It used to work, it works with the grad student she works with and now, of course, it's not working. She's close to tears, sad that she's going to disappoint her out-of-town grad student mentor (who's really nice and wouldn't be too disappointed, let's be clear) and is generally frustrated at her sudden Sidam touch.
So my buddy and I were listening to her sadness and one of us hit on a way of putting a smile on this undergrad's face. One of us squirts a healthy bit of acetone on the lab floor, the other lights it on fire with a spark striker. We then squirt circles of flaming acetone with the squirt bottle and sing "Ring of Fire". Instant happy summer student, no tears.
Lesson: a grad student will do anything, anything to avoid tears from their subordinates.