Thursday, March 28, 2013

Daily Pump Trap: 3/28/13 edition

Good morning! Between March 26 and March 27, 188 new positions were posted on the C&EN Jobs website. Of these, 5 (3%) are academically connected and 164 (87%) are from Kelly Scientific Resources.

Whoa: Just when you thought it was safe to scroll down, Kelly Scientific dumps 164 positions on C&EN Jobs. They're mostly relevantish, so that's nice.

Greensboro, NC: Syngenta Crop Protection is looking for a Ph.D. analytical chemist for analytical work towards agrichemical formulations. 65-107k offered for this position, which is quite the range.

Chicago, IL: Polyera is back, looking for Ph.D. synthetic polymer chemists; sadly, this ad (although it calls for Korean-speaking ability) is not at "romance novel" levels of enthusiasm.

Patrick AFB (: The Air Force Technical Applications Center is a regular (once a year or so) visitor to ACS Careers/C&EN Jobs. They have 4 positions posted, including one for a lead mass spectrometry scientist. All you need is knowledge of radiation detection and the ability to gain a TOP SECRET clearance.

[These must be the folks who test the samples collected by USAF planes flying around the world, looking for isotopes from nuclear detonations, yes?]

Hong Kong, China: The Hong Kong Jockey Club is looking for a M.S. chemist to test for banned substances in the racing horses. No, really. Excellence in Chinese (Cantonese, one imagines) is desired.

Pleasanton, CA: Clorox is looking for a Ph.D. analytical chemist for a 1 year postdoctoral position.

Pittsburgh, PA: PPG is looking for a Ph.D. synthetic organic chemist for a position working on "photochromic ophthalmic products."

Rolla, MO: Brewer Science, back again with 3 positions.

ACS NOLA Career Fair Watch: 56 positions for the Career Fair, 11 for the Virtual Career Fair. 

2 comments:

  1. I really hate how prevelent Kelly Scientific has become, and I wish that the ACS would not allow them to post jobs. Every interaction I've ever had with them has be completely fruitless and a waste of my time and effort.

    My most recent example was for an opening for a Scientist in Energy Storage. I applied via the Kelly Scientific webpage. And followed up 2 weeks after with a phone call. They Kelly rep said they were still trying to workout some details with the company. I called back again a month later, 2 weeks after my first call. And was given the same line. Finallya I called back a month after that, and sternly asked what the status of my application was for the position. It was at this point that I was told the company kept changing the requirements for the position. I asked for the name of the company and after some proding, was told ADA Technologies.

    At this point I googled the company and found it. Sure enough, they had an opening posted on their webpage, "Senior Researcher, Energy Storage Materials." So, I applied directly to the company with a coverletter and resume and started the process anew. I called and checked on my application 2 weeks after submitting my application. Upon reaching the receptionist the conversation went something like this:

    Receptionist: "ADA Technologies, this is Jane. How may I direct your call?"

    Me: "Hi Jane. I applied for the Senior Researcher opening with ADA Tech. I was wondering if I could speak with someone to find out the status of my application."

    Receptionist: "I'm sorry, sir. We don't have any opening at this time."

    Me: "Oh, was the position filled?"

    Receptionist: "Not that I'm aware sir. We haven't had any openings for some time now."

    Me: "But on your company's webpage there's an opening posted entitled, 'Senior Researcher, Energy Storage Materials.' I'm looking at it right now."

    Receptionist: "Sir, we're not hiring anyone."

    Me: "But there's an opening posted, see for yourself."

    Receptionist:"Sir, we're not hiring anyone."

    Me: "Ok, Jane. Thank you for your time."

    This was only my most recent spin with Kelly Scientific. I will only ever apply for another opening with this company in the event I'm about to become homeless. Perhaps even then I'll just go work for Starbucks instead.

    The best part about this story...the opening is STILL posted more than a year later.

    http://www.adatech.com/careers.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly is posting jobs on ACS? Since when do people looking to make $10 an hour washing beakers search for jobs on the ACS website?

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20