Thursday, March 14, 2013

Surprise! The Ladders is being sued for being a scam.

I've always been a little suspicious of the job site known as "The Ladders"; first, you have to pay to get access to the positions; also, they say that all of them make over $100k. (Also, they were the authors of a truly awful Superbowl ad that I cannot seem to find online.* Sigh.) Anyway, a sharp-eyed reader notes that they're being taken to court in a class action lawsuit:
"From its inception until September 2011, TheLadders scammed its customers into paying for its job board service by misrepresenting itself to be 'a premium job site for only $100k+ jobs, and only $100k+ talent'. In fact, TheLadders sold access to purported '$100k+' job listings that (1) did not exist, (2) did not pay $100k+, and/or (3) were not authorized to be posted on TheLadders by the employers."
Granted, it's being brought by a big law firm, etc. I'll be very interested to see how it turns out.

*UPDATE: Anon031420130214p found it. 

8 comments:

  1. CJ: Net working is still the best bet to get a job. I never subscribed to Ladder (put off by S$$$) though I was bombarded all the time with their ad. LinkedIn is another crappy site that offers little or no help, except to figure what your friend are doing for living etc.. The best way it worked for me to land a decent job is knowing someone in person who knows someone who has a job opening. The other stories that you hear are false!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree and am also completely perplexed as to why recruiters and HR people keep telling me that LinkedIn is so incredibly ~*~*~awesome~*~*~* (those are ascii sparkles...)

      Delete
    2. LinkedIn is a tool like anything else. If you use it properly it can open doors for you. If not, it's a waste of your time. Networking is no different. If all you do is ask people for jobs, you aren't going to find networking all that useful and will probably think it sucks.

      Using LinkedIn effectively takes some time, but you can get some really helpful information off of it if you do. I landed my current job through it.

      Delete
  2. Don't you have to pay to access "ihirechemists" ads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so. But I got my first job after my post-doc through them, so that's the sentimental reason for it being up.

      Delete
  3. Great. Next you'll be telling me that Nigerian prince doesn't really want to give me $67,000,000,00.00 USD for helping with his bank transfer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxDUblCBXZM

    This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_YfgINP09A

    Or this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrbVuyyuCCM

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20