There was a new graduate student or postdoc who was new to a total synthesis lab that was working on some sort of marine natural product. The student seemed like a reasonable sort and dove into their new project (which may have been a project they inherited from someone else?) with gusto. After a few weeks, though, they started not showing up to work for a week at a time, and acting as if nothing had happened.
After a few episodes of absenteeism, the lab got together and figured out that the new lab worker had accidentally ingested some of the compound they were working on, and it was having the effect of making them sleep for a week at a time at home, and then waking up as if nothing had happened.So a couple of caveats:
- Obviously, 99+% of this story is probably false, either through retelling, or CJ's mind adding details.
- This could have been one of CJ's coworkers telling chemistry urban legends.
- or, this story has a tiny seed of truth in it somewhere, from the many years of stories from chemical academia