Thursday, October 20, 2011

Daily Pump Trap: 10/20/11 edition

Good morning! Between October 18 and 19, there were 21 new positions posted on the ACS Careers website. Of these, 8 (38%) are academically connected. 1 (5%) is from our friends at Kelly Scientific.

Lexington, MA: Cubist Pharmaceuticals is looking for a B.S./M.S. research associate in medicinal chemistry. 2+ lab experience minimum.

Marlborough, MA: Shimadzu is looking for a field service technician; A.A. in electrical engineering desired, but I'll bet they'll take anyone who's got experience in instrument repair and willing to travel.

Kings Mountain, GA: Someone (confidential) is looking for a Ph.D. inorganic chemist to be a senior research chemist, with an eye towards lithium-based processes. Sounds intense.

Suzhou, China: Ascepion Pharmaceuticals is looking for a Ph.D. medicinal chemist to lead a group; 2-5 years experience desired. Whaa?!? 2-5 years? How many years does it take to lead a group in the US? 5? Dunno.

A broader look: Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, Indeed.com and USAjobs.gov show 385, 744, 3,205 and 29 positions.

5 comments:

  1. Question for anyone: What do you think the currently hot or strong fields for chemistry are? In my head I think chemical biology, nanotechnology and materials science but I don't really know for sure. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean academically or industrially?

    If industrially, I would agree with you, but I would remove the chemical biology and swap it for polymer chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if I changed by last name to Picasso, would I improve my chances with Cubist Pharma?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @John - in, perhaps the same way that playing in a jazz combo might land you a job at Infinity...

    http://www.infi.com/careers.asp

    Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, I was thinking either I suppose. Chem Bio as more of an academic field or interest makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20